Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Wonder Woman Day!

As I wait for the trick or treaters to trickle out tonight, I wanted to take time to honor the best Halloween costume of all time, and, according to Superpoke on Facebook, it's her "day," Wonder Woman. I was a fan of Wonder Woman back in the day of underoos, Linda Carter, and an awesome fashion doll (complete with a sexy pantsuit and labcoat that covered up her badass leotard). I guess it was empowering for a six year old to have her own superhero to identify with, but I never really gave it much thought. I just thought she was cool. I still love Wonder Woman, as many of my coworkers can attest. I have a mug and a poster (both given to me by coworkers. Once you show an affinity for something, people tend give you stuff) as well as a myriad of other WW crap. I'm sure it came across as some sort of alpha female power thing, but really, it just made me happy, the same way I felt when I was six. Wonder Woman is still kicking (and I'm still waiting for her turn at a summer blockbuster, despite the fact that Catherine Zeta Jones is way too old for the part!) and they have modernized her. Apparently, an animated film will be released next February (maybe a litmus test for a live action flick?). And, if you haven't already, check out the Jodi Piccoult penned graphic novel. So happy Wonder Woman Day and enjoy this clip of Kim Kardashian as Annoying Wonder Woman:

No comments: