Friday, October 03, 2008

Kiki Sez: Samuari Girl

For my vacation a few weeks ago, I downloaded one of itunes free offerings of the week, Samurai Girl. It was part one of a six-hour miniseries on ABC Family. I honestly wasn’t expecting much – it featured Jamie Chung of Real World San Diego fame for one, and it was a family movie after all. But, I figured, what the hell? Six hours trapped on a plane and I could spare an hour for a freebie. Also, Entertainment Weekly, my media guru, gave it a good review, so that sealed the deal. Luckily, in addition to packing my own food and drink (thanks to the cheap airlines) I packed my own fun as the movie was Jackie Chan’s Forbidden Kingdom. I tried to watch a few minutes, but it was too terrible. And I normally like Jackie Chan (Rush Hour is a great way to kill a Saturday afternoon), but this was unwatchable. So, I clicked on my ipod and settled in with my 11/2”x2” screen. I have to admit, I really dug the first hour (and not just because I was a captive audience) and the subsequent 5 hours that I DVR’d upon my return. It had some major logistical issues and was a bit convoluted, but I suppose it was tailored to a 15 year old audience. What I liked about the show was it’s earnest original soundtrack (the track played over the beginning wedding scene sounded like an Exile in Guyville-era Liz Phair) and its mix of elements from Alias (a mysterious prophecy, romance with the handler, family issues), Kill Bill (an ass kicking sword fight finale with Stacy Keibler), and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (witty, bumbling sidekicks). In the words of Julie Andrews, these are a few of my favorite things. It's also based on a young adult novel that I should have written. Based on the response the show has received (and the cliffhanger ending), I smell an ABC Family series in the works. Would I watch it? Probably not (my DVR is already 83% full after one full week of fall TV premieres). But, I’m glad we had this time together, Samurai Girl.

No comments: