Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Kiki's Brush with the Bigtime

Way back in 2007, when I was working in advertising, I worked on a campaign for TAG Body Spray. This was by far one of the more glamorous jobs I had as a producer as I got to arrange a photo and video shoot in NYC, complete with models and swimsuits. The shoot turned into a bit of a cluster-F in 90 degree, cramped office space in a high-rise with no A/C and no swimsuits. I spent the better part of the morning riding taxis around Manhattan looking for sexy but tiny swimsuits, in July, when most stores are stocking Back to School. But that's another story. My point is the one of my models was Michaela McManus. Then, she was just a struggling model/ actress. She was quiet and lovely, and even more beautiful in person. She read a raunchy innuendo-laced script with humor and grace, wore the tacky swimsuit I bought, and stayed professional while we all sweated like Al Gore in a rain forest. It was fun working with models that day as my usual experiences as a producer involved searching for mannequins, not humans. After the shoot, Micheala hit the big time, landing stint on One Tree Hill, Law and Order SVU, and now Nomads, an Alias-like pilot for the CW. She was even called "underrated" by Entertainment Weekly. Way to go, Michaela! I wonder where that mannequin from the Talbots ad is now. . .

No comments: