Monday, June 16, 2008

Liveblogging the Tonys – NOT!

For a millisecond, I thought it would be fun to liveblog the Tony Awards last night. Then I realized the only two people who care are me and some lady with a thousand cats in New Jersey. If it makes it any more butch, I flipped between the awards and the Celtics game. Anyway, it was a pretty good show to pay 50% attention to (I was ripping articles out of old issues of Cooking Light from 2005) and it had some moments:

-The irascible Patti Lupone (best know to me as Corky’s mom on Life Goes On) took home the Best Actress in a Musical trophy, for her portrayal of Mama Rose in the revival of Gypsy. What a powerhouse!

-Some play called August: Osage County took home a bunch of awards, but I don’t really care because it’s a play and has talking, not enough singing and dancing. Life’s too short not to sing and dance on Broadway.

-Lin-Manuel Miranda rapped his acceptance speech for Best Score for In the Heights and the cast gave an incredible performance from the show. I am now itching to take the next Acela to NYC to see this show. It like the fortieth show to be called “The Next Rent,” but it seems like a modern, completely original show that I would enjoy. It also took home Best Musical.

-The cast of Passing Strange also performed and got down with a funky rock number. Stew, the brains behind the show, reminds me of Cee-lo from Gnarls Barkley, but that makes me love him even more. I don’t know if it’s Acela worthy, but maybe worth a drive?

-My people, the original cast of Rent performed. I know I’ve seen it a million times, but it still gives me goose bumps. Sigh.

-And the Celtics lost.

So that does it for awards season, until the Emmys in September. (I am avoiding the Daytime Emmys like the plague).

No comments: