Friday, June 13, 2008

Top TV Dads Right Now

Because I honored current TV moms, I feel I must pay respect to the dads as well. Let me tell you, it’s slim pickings out there for good dad role models (a reflection of our times?). As you’ll notice, these are the same shows as the moms, but what can you do? It’s what I watch. So, off we go:

Joe Dubois (Medium) -- He’s got quite the load to split with wife Allison. They seem to share household duties, childrearing and transportation, while also on the lookout for employment. Not to mention it’s been years since he’s had a whole night of uninterrupted sleep, with her nightmares and all. Sure, he’s the Scully to her Mulder, always skeptical, but he goes along with sudden deafness, multiple personalities, and ghosts in the house. Living in a houseful of women with, uh, abilities, can’t be easy ( I wonder if the synch up).

Bill Henrickson (Big Love) – Bill has a lot going on – seven children (and one on the way), three wives, a booming business, a war with his compound-ruling in-laws, his crazy mother, brother, father, sister-in-law. He somehow manages all of it while never messing up his side part. And to think he was considering a fourth wife – is he crazy?

Ted Mosby (How I Met Your Mother) – Any dad that recounts every hookup of him and his friends to his kids can’t be all bad. Who knows? Maybe in the future, dads are more open about their sexual conquests. But Ted, who is your damn wife? You’re killing us.

Ignacio Suarez (Ugly Betty) – I wish my dad kept me in a constant supply of empanadas. But, the obsessive telenovela watching is a little annoying. He needs a ladyfriend or a hobby or something. I suppose if it prevents him from getting deported again, can’t hurt.

Hmmm, that’s about it. Grey’s has zippo dads, Michael may be a dad (sort of) on The Office (so we’ll catch him next year). And, I think all the dads on Lost are deceased (they have parent issues on that show). Did I miss any?

2 comments:

Adam said...

What about Don Draper? Sure...he drinks a lot, cheats on his wife, and goes out to pick up the cake for his kid's birthday party and comes back like six hours later, but he brought back a PUPPY! That must qualify him for inclusion on the list.

And I can't believe that you didn't include Jon Gosselin. The dude's got EIGHT kids for crying out loud!

Kiki said...

Yeah, that's EXACTLY why Draper's of the list. Puppy doesn't not trump drunk on the birthday!

I do apologize to the Gosselin family, however. Kate deserved to be on the Mom list and Jon on the Dad list. Eight freakin' kids puts you at the top of any list, am I right Van Patten?