Monday, June 30, 2008

The Orchestra Was Gigantic

Okay, I lied. I said I would post on Friday more about Josh Ritter, but I didn’t. I had to get ready for the show and I had no idea it would take me hours to prettify myself (it’s been a while). So, quick recap – I went to see my current favorite singer/ songwriter perform at Symphony Hall in Boston on Friday, accompanied by his band and members of the Boston Pops Orchestra. If you don’t know Josh’s music, it’s hard to describe. He’s poetic with influences of rock, country, folk, and rockabilly in his “sound” (that’s right, he has a “sound”). He’s like Bob Dylan, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, and Bruce Springsteen in a blender. Please check him out, so he’ll get really famous and I won’t think he’s cool anymore, and I’ll stop talking about him. Anyway, so Friday was the big show. I’d been to Symphony Hall in college once or twice when the hubby was in his classical music phase, but it’s usually not a ticket I run out for. When I heard Josh was going to be there (from his newsletter, dorky, I know) with the Pops, I was shaking trying to get tickets online. Happily, I scored two second row VIP tickets, including a meet and greet and a poster. Wow. See, there are benefits to getting into an artist on the ground floor, people. When I mentioned I was going to the show to most normal people, they said “Who??” so I didn’t know what to expect. Well, the place was sold out. My section, which were the cabaret tables, was all the hard-core fans (many of them seemed to know each other). Most people were nicely dressed (including a guy at the table in front, who, before the show, managed to spill an entire glass of red wine on his buddy’s khaki crotch. And break the glass. Twice. Way to class it up, kids). Drinks and snacks were available and the service seemed like they were on top of it. They were probably used to a much fancier crowd (the joint had a Kentucky Derby blueblood kind of vibe). I’ll admit I did not like the cabaret seating as it was too close for comfort. They guy to my left kind of wanted to make friends (and I am not friendly) and the people to my right kept insisting they were going to have to take the Hubby’s seat (who was a-peeing) since they had difficulty with counting to five and realizing there were enough seats at the table. But then, the show began! The Pops filed in, looking so classy and serious. Then, Josh and his band came onto the stage, looking hipster cool in suits. Josh was bubbling over with excitement. I thought he was going to pee himself (which is another reason why we love him – sometimes I think he’s having more fun than the audience, if that’s possible). Here’s the setlist that I grabbed from the forum (thanks to aurora borealis for posting for those of us with fuzzy memories):

idaho (solo)
best for the best (with pops)
other side (with band and pops)
rumors (with band and pops)
girl in the war (with band and pops)
wolves (with band)
monster ballads (with band and pops)
thin blue flame (with violin soloist)
the temptation of adam (with pops)
to the dogs or whoever (with band)
right moves (with band and pops)

robert pinsky - 2 poems
- the want bone
- the wave
(both poems read to edge of the world )

bone of song (solo until the final line, then pops)
kathleen (with band and pops)

ENCORE
wildfires – "for the people of burma" (with band)
empty hearts – with audience sing a long (with band and pops)

It was an amazing show. Josh was fantastic and pumped (so pumped, he screwed up a few times, which made it seem more genuine). His band sounded great, the Pops arrangements were beautiful (even though I wondered how many of the musicians knew who this kid was). Conductor John Mclaughlin and Josh kept winking at each other the whole time, so I could tell this was new to both of them. Former Poet Laureate Robert Pinsky’s poems were interesting (very sexual) but he also had a weird Bobby Deniro vibe going on. It was a great night and I didn’t want it to end. I posted Rumors from Youtube, which I think was the theme song for the whole show, and my favorite song, The Temptation of Adam. Enjoy and tomorrow I’ll recap the meet and greet, including a bear hug from Josh and how tiny Natalie Merchant looks in person!



No comments: