Friday, June 06, 2008

Swingin in the 70’s

I watched the premiere episode of the suburban spouse-swapping drama last night. Swingtown. I’m not sure what to think. It’s like Mad Men and Big Love, thrown in a blender and watered down with a constant heaping of a Dance Fever soundtrack, sprinkled with every other 70’s cliché you can imagine. A nice couple moves in across the street from the Cougarsons, who are constantly on the prowl for fresh meat (what’s up Grant Show?). I thought it would take at least 3 episodes before everyone ends up in bed together, Bob, Ted, Carol, and Alice-style, but it was a done deal by the end of the eppie. And I expected the nice lady to feel a little icky the next morning, but she was lovin’ life. Where do we go from here? Are they gonna conquer the super-freaked out lady a few blocks over (who was scrubbing her oven in horror at what she saw at the neighborhood BBQ, when we last saw her). The kids in the show were all way young and way intense looking themselves, so drama will ensue for them too, I’m sure. Also, I’m intrigued by the other lady that lives across the street (keep up) and covered her windows in tinfoil. Hmmm. On a good note, Liz Phair is scoring the show and she is my idoless. And http://www.last.fm/group/swingtown has the persistent soundtrack from last night (sadly, this link is un-Phair). So, I’ll tune in next week and see if I’m feelin’ the love yet for Swingtown.

No comments: