Thursday, July 10, 2008

Cold Sake Hall of Fame: Murakami

Kanye West kinda ruined my next hall of fame entrant by bringing him to the masses via his album cover for Graduation. I’m talking about the great Japanese contemporary artist, Takashi Murakami. You see, years ago before Kanye made his discovery, I got interested in the work of Murakami via an exhibit at the MFA Boston. He’s like the Japanese Andy Warhol (another favorite of mine), taking low culture and mass packaging it. He sells his designs in the form of figures, t-shirts, stuffed animals, and the beloved Louis Vuitton Monogram Multicolore bag line (with Marc Jacobs). This is how Kanye and Murakami first bonded, over a love of all things Louis. But that bums me out a bit, because he was mine before that (and maybe a few artsy hipsters). Now, though everyone may not know who he is by name, most are familiar with some of his work. Any douchebag with a Kanye West CD now knows his style. Or anyone shopping for illegal fake purses on Canal street covets the Louis bag. So, I still celebrate Murakami, as his mission of bringing high art to the mouth breathers (i.e. regular people) is succeedeing. But I was here first, Kanye. Step off! (Kanye knows I still love him . . .)

No comments: