Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Mama Mia! It’s Batman!

This week, I’ve had all of the morning shows in my periphery : Today Show, Live with Regis and Kelly, The View. I feel like I have been inundated this week by the marketing blitz of both Mama Mia and The Dark Knight. First up, the B Team players – The singing dads (Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan) from Mama Mia (Hey! We’re FILF hot and we can sing, sorta!) and the vaudeville act of Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman making the rounds (Hey! We’re two old funny men who don’t give a sh*t if this movie actually does well since we’ll be making movies another fifty years no matter what!). As they appear on one show after the next, I can practically see their limos make it through the rush hour streets of Manhattan studio to studio. All the shows are helping the publicists stay on message – I didn’t know you knew how to sing, cast of Mama Mia! Is Heath Ledger going to get nominated for an Oscar, cast of the Dark Knight? Oh, sorry to step on your joke with that awkward question, Morgan Freeman. Somehow, The Today Show snagged early interviews with the stars of each movie by Tuesday – Batman himself, Christian Bale (who looked intensely still in character with a punchy Matt Lauer) and Oscar Queen Meryl Streep (who was practically nursed by the gushing Anne Curry). The View and Regis won’t score her until later in the week. And then there’s other buzz coming from every other media outlet. Can we believe the hype that these are the two best movies ever made? Will Heath really win that posthumous Oscar everyone is already predicting in July? Is it like this for every movie and I’m just grumpy because I know I won’t be getting to the movies this weekend and I’m therefore missing out? Ok, so I’ll miss the big premieres, but I possibly see each of these movies as a distinct bonding experience with each of my parents, as they fit into each of these two opposite demographics perfectly. But wait, where the hell is Maggie Gyllenhaal in all of this?

No comments: