Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The New Lily Allen: Kate Nash

Today I bring you a new artist: Kate Nash. I had heard that she’s one to watch, but I had never heard any of her songs, so didn’t exactly know why. Then I heard her song “Foundations” on the radio and I realized “my God, she sounds like Lily Allen.” But in a good way, not in the douchebag-copycat way Panic at the Disco’s (minus the !) new album sounds exactly like the Beatles. No, instead of copying her sounds, it’s more like a musical movement. The Cheeky British Girl in Trainers movement. Maybe it’s just the British accent and the swearing that puts these two in the same box in my head, but I like what I hear. And Nash’s voice has honesty and rawness, whereas Allen can sometimes come off as detached. So maybe it’s an evolution of the sound, a step ahead. In bright yellow All Stars.

Check out "Foundations" below:

No comments: