Sunday, March 16, 2008

Straight from the Blog: Anthony Rapp Concert Recap


Apologies for not posting on Friday. I was technically on “vacation” (vacation from watching Martha Stewart all day, some have asked). No, it was the hubby’s vacation and we explored the Peabody-Essex Museum in Salem, MA (more on that another time).

As you may remember, I attended the Anthony Rapp (the original Mark Cohen from Rent) concert last night at Northeastern University. First off, I was one of the older halves of the demographic (horny college girl Rentheads who don’t know Anthony is “just not that into them” vs. crazy Renthead cat ladies). Though not a cat lady (and reluctant to call myself a Renthead as it’s so goofy and speaks to a larger lack of self-awareness), I am definitely no college girl. At any rate, it was a fun concert though and I had a good time; I find Anthony’s voice unique, raw and vulnerable. Initially, I had expected it to be more of a book reading with songs, but it was more of pure concert. There was no opening act and no band – just a kid named Adam playing the piano or guitar. They began with “Why” from tick, tick... Boom!, an underrated musical from Jonathan Larson, composer and lyricist of Rent. Anthony also did a couple of unexpected covers, including R.E.M.’s “Losing My Religion”, Snow Patrol’s “Chasing Cars”, Radiohead’s “Fake Plastic Trees”, Elvis Costello’s “Allison” and Hole’s “Miss World” (which I didn’t know if it was supposed to be funny, but everyone laughed, so it was.) He also sang selections from Hedwig and the Angry Inch and “Happiness” from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (he’s on the 1999 revival album). He promised to be light on the musical theater as he considers himself more rock than Rogers and Hammerstein (as am I). He sang 2 original songs, and then “Without You,” “What You Own,” “Goodbye Love” and “Seasons of Love” from Rent (of course and the audience was clamoring for those songs, let me tell you). Interspersed between the songs, Anthony told stories from his life and experience working on Rent. He seemed like a funny, somewhat normal guy and he put on a mellow, low-key show. Something about a Q&A was mentioned before the show started and I was hoping for one as I wanted to ask “Do you ever get sick of Rent?” I don’t, but he’s got hundreds of shows on my four. Alas, there was no Q&A, so I had to keep all thoughts to myself.

After the show, the more insane members of the audience bolted it for the door so they could get in line for the signing of his memoir “Without You” (which I hadn’t yet finished as of the time of the signing, but caught up on the T on the way as much as possible). We calmly strolled and got a reasonable place in line. On the way up to meet him, I rehearsed questions in my head, but “I loved you in Adventures in Babysitting” sounded silly and forced, as did “so what were Ben and Matt really like on the set of School Ties?” or “You really hung out with Andy Dick in high school? Huh.” Instead, I just said hello and gave him my book to sign. I felt bad upon looking behind me and seeing the line snake out of the auditorium. It was going to be a long night for him. But, I now have something to look forward to as he confirmed he and Adam Pascal will be appearing in the Rent Tour in 2009. And, trust, I am excited in the least stalker-ish way possible. Though, after this performance, I may have to get a cat.

No comments: