Thursday, May 08, 2008

Ellen Teaching Us Kids the New Slang

Thank God for Ellen Degeneres. In the last few weeks, as part of a “What the Helll Are These Kids Talking About” segment on her show, she has explained to me and the other white ladies in the world what some of the new slang means. In the past weeks, we have learned what Shawty (a female, not necessarily of short stature), Boo (as term of affection for a male or female), and “Drop It Like It’s Hot” (actually, she didn’t really know). This week’s show featured the vocab phrase “honky tonk badonkadonk,” which is good because I had no idea how that was spelled (I believe it’s a country behind). This hearby serves as a notice to the rap community to stop using these phrases – they are officially dead after having been introduced to middle America (as “bling” was corrupted so long ago). If my mom knows what a badonkadonk is, it’s over. This belongs on StuffWhitePeopleLike.com -- #101 Talking Like a Black Person. Next up, my mom uses “Riding Dirty” in a sentence and calls the next-door neighbor a “chicken-head.”.

And continuing with our theme, here’s a classic clip called “Stewardess, I Speak Jive!”

No comments: