Monday, May 05, 2008

They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?

Happy Cinquo de Mayo. So I was watching the Kentucky Derby this weekend, and to make it interesting, The Hubby and I decided to pick a horse to root for. Big Brown (or Hot Brown as I called him, like the sandwich, or something far grosser) seemed like the obvious choice and therefore boring. All day, I had I Can Hear the Bells from Hairspray stuck in my head, so I decided to cheer on Eight Belles. The Hubby went for Cowboy Cal (maybe because it sounds like a Pee-Wee sidekick?). Well, it was a great, short race with Hot Brown galloping to victory. But Eight Belles was right behind and came in second. Yay, so exciting. Well, not a minute later, we realize Eight Belles was hurt and they’re bringing the horsey ambulance. Before we found out what the problem even was – Eight Belles had been euthanized on the track. What?! You killed my horse? What a freakin’ let down. Who cares about Hot Brown now as the whole race has turned into a Hot Brown Mess. Does that mean that I know how to pick a winner or what? First, place wins a set of steak knives, second place gets shot! Sheesh. Rest in peace Eight Belles (which incidentally is a play on words. “Eight bells” signify the ends of sailor’s watch on a ship). Oh, and Cowboy Cal came in 9th, fyi.

P.S. In the spirit of My Kentucky Weekend (you’re going to have to wait until Wednesday for the Derby Pie and Hot Brown sandwiches due to my busy schedule this weekend and burritos today, ole!) including a viewing of Elizabethtown (not the best movie, but I get it, and we’ve all known failure in our lives), here’s a winner of a song from My Old Kentucky Blog, a super-cool remix of Josh Ritter’s Rumors.

No comments: