Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Josh Groban’s New Street Cred

I’ll admit it – back around 2002 I was what you would consider a “Grobanite.” I thought Josh Groban had an amazing voice and I liked his contemporary spin on Opera classics, as well as his heart-tugging original songs (there’s never a dry eye when he sings “To Where You Are” live). He brought warmth to my cold, hard heart. Then, a little red headed man came along and changed everything – Clay Aiken. I was also stirred by his rendition of “Vincent” (also covered by Groban) on American Idol (even though he forgot the words) and I quickly threw my support to Aiken, over eventual winner Rueben. Clay seemed like a nice kid with a good voice and fluttery lashes. But then, after the show was over, things started to happen. He started to get kind of weird and hit the flat iron too hard. And, I started noticing only menopausal women like Clay Aiken. I lost total interest and my love for Josh Groban was taken down in the process. I was no longer a Claymate or a Grobanite. Suddenly, Josh Groban seems to be back. First, he earned total street cred for appearing in the Jimmy Kimmel/ Ben Affleck video (a performance laced with utter profanity). Now, he’s made People Magazine “Most Beautiful People” list (it’s not that crazy – he did used to date January Jones, aka Mrs. Don Draper on Mad Men). Groban is heavy on the cheez whiz, but he doesn’t seem to take himself too seriously. I don’t think I’ll be running out to buy Awake Live (his new album) anytime soon, but maybe I won’t fast forward next time “For Always” comes up on the shuffle. In between hot flashes.

No comments: