Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Perils of Modern Technology

The Hubby was late coming home last night, so I had to put my Idol watching on hold (and get through the last episodes of Lipstick Jungle on the DVR instead. I’m powering through.) Anyway, I set and forget the DVR, avoided the internet, and yelled “Don’t speak!” into the phone when my parents called (to gloat, I assumed) at 9:59 (their Archie fans). At 10, we started the show, fast forwarding through select segments of the performances (like Donna Summer’s, Bryan Adam’s, and George Michael’s new songs, all of Nash & White). I suffered through a Love Guru commercial as I needed to see where it was going, but quite enjoyed the thinly veiled, bizarre Tropic of Thunder commercial where Ben Stiller, Jack Black, and Robert Downey Jr served as Gladys Knight’s Pips (why did Jack Black’s pants come off at the end though?). So, 2 hours of singing, dancing, and blah, blah, blah from Ryan (not to mention parading out all of the disabled people they like to make fun of during the auditions process) it was 3 minutes away from the final results. Aww, Simon apologized to D-Cook (to save face, perhaps?) Then, some nerdy guy came out with an envelope; Ryan opens it slowly, and announced the winner is “David!” And then my recording ended on my DVR. Bam, just like that. What a dope, I didn’t extend it in case they went over (which they always do!). The good news is that if one technology lets you down, another will likely come to your rescue. In this instance, Youtube. I got to watch the whole thing from where I left off, from where Ryan said “COOK!” (totally unexpectedly). There were tears, a look of utter disappointment from the Archuletta family, and by God, the winning original song! Sigh. It was all I hoped and dreamed (it included the words from the cliché generator rainbows, moment, living out loud. Awesome!). Thank you Youtube! Now, let’s see if Cook goes the way of a little blonde country singer or a gray haired soul singer (Soul Patrol!)!

1 comment:

George said...

Hey guys, I have a blog about technology too, but its coming from a different perspective. You should check it out, you may think different ly about technology:

http://www.geopelham.blogspot.com/