Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Indiana Jones Raiding the Alien Temple of Doom During the Last Crusade

Ok, SPOILER ALERT (let’s get this over with). Don’t read this if you don’t want to know the plot details of the new movie. I didn’t want to be the one to give it away since it’s been as secretive as Area 51 (HINT HINT). So, all the cool kids have been hating on this movie, but I actually liked it. Does this make me a bad person? In this fourth installment, Indy goes in search of mystical crystal skulls with Marion and son (!) Mutt in tow (I would have loved the exchange “Don’t call me Junior, my name is Mutt.” “We named the dog Mutt.”) through Mayan temples in Peru (I know, problem right there). They are chased by a gang of Russian baddies led by Cate Blanchett (whose accent is a little messy) and when the skulls unite, the temple turns into a mashed potato mountain where the mothership beams up E.T. and his Speak n’ Spell. Yes, there are many unbelievable elements to the movie (such as Indy hiding from a mushroom cloud in a fridge) and a lot of people are bothered by the supernatural aspect of this movie. Uh, and the Ark of the Covenant melting Nazi faces or Mola Ram ripping people’s heart’s out is completely realistic? I liked how it had a very 50’s feel, down to the paranoia over Communism. I thought this movie had all of the elements of the previous movies that I loved (Action! Inside Jokes! Historical Fiction!) And, my favorite part was the motorcycle chase through the Marshall College campus as I’ve always been curious about that little seen part of Indy’s life. I also enjoyed the Jedi-esque jeep chase through the jungle as I was ducking in my seat from flying tires (either that or the guy kicking my chair made me paranoid. You know who you are buddy, fourth row, 9:30 show on 5/25 at the Loop.) Yes, Indy is disrespectful to the artifacts, but I feel like he gets a pass because he’s on a personal mission and not the usual trek for “fortune and glory”. I also liked how Indy and Marion are old and bloaty, but still kickin’ ass. Shia “The Motherf@*%!# Beef” LaBeouf did a good job channeling Brando and Dean. I smell new franchise! Mutt goes to Cuba, anyone?

No comments: