Sunday, February 24, 2008

Predications: No Milkshakes for Atonened Junos

Okay, I just finished my last movie (a matinee of There Will Be Blood) and I'm ready to make my predictions (if I can stop saying "I. Drink. Your. Milkshake!!!" for ten seconds).

And, full disclosure, Entertainment Weekly helped me with these.

Best Original Screenplay -- Juno, as it was the most original dialogue I have heard in a while.

Best Adapted Screenplay -- I have not read any of these, but I go withNo Country for Old Men.

Best Visual Effects -- Transformers, because it had lots of "cool stuff."

Best Sound Mixing -- Transformers, though Bourne is a close second.

Best Sound Editing -- Transformers, ditto.

Best Live Short - Tanghi Argentini, 'cause Enterainment Weekly said so.

Best Song -- Enchanted splits the vote, my favorite, Falling Slowly from Once, wins.

Best Score -- Atonement, as the typewriter was haunting.

Best Makeup -- La Vie En Rose. Have you seen what Marion Cotillard really looks like?

Best Foreign Language -- The Counterfeiters, 'cause EW said so.

Best Editing -- No Country for Old Men, as this usually goes with Best Pic.

Best Documentary Short --Freeheld, per EW.

Best Documentary -- No End in Sight, per EW.

Best Costume -- Atonement, because they made that bag of rakes, Keira Knightley, look good.

Best Cinematography -- There Will Be Blood, though Atonement has a good chance as well.

Best Art Direction -- Sweeney Todd, evebn though Atonement was pretty.

Best Animated Film -- Rataouille, even though Persepolis is deep, Disney always wins.

Best Animated Short -- I Met the Walrus, per EW.

Best Director -- Hmmm, this one is tough. Julian Schnabel will show up in pajamas, but he will go home empty-handed. I think the brothers Cohen have this in a lock.

Best Supporting Actress -- This category usually goes to a little kid, an old lady, or some young thing you will never hear from again. Sorry Tilda Swinton, but Amy Ryan from Gone Baby Gone has my vote here.

Best Supporting Actor -- I have only seen No Country and Michael Clayton, but I can tell Javier Bardem is the clear winner.

Best Actress -- In this category, I have only seen Away from Her, La Vie en Rose, and Juno. Julue Christie is the favorite because of the Lifetime Acheivement Award aspect, but my money is on Marion Cotillard as she became Edith.

Best Actor -- I only saw Eastern Promises and There Will Be Blood. Four hours ago, I was confident that Viggo Mortensen would take it. Now my money is on Daniel Day Lewis.

Best Picture -- Juno was my personal favorite, we enjoyed them all a lot. But, No Country for Old Men will take it (because I slightly did not understand it and I'm sure Academy voters feel the same way and will reward it.)

Now, onto Ryan Seacrest bashing!

No comments: