Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Idols Can’t Carey a Tune

I was insanely disappointed in American Idol last night. It was Mariah Carey night and I expected a little bit of gospel hands, notes only dogs can hear and pitch problems galore (in a fun way). What I got instead was a snooze factory. With the exception of David Cook’s creative emo version of Always Be My Baby, everything else was drip, drip, drippy. They all chose ballads, some know, like Hero and I Don’t Wanna Cry, and I bunch I had never heard off (not being a hardcore Carey fan). It was all pulse-less, safe and downbeat. No one celebrated the peppy, poppy side of Mariah with hits like Heartbreaker, Dreamlover, Fantasy, Emotions, and Honey. Are the saving all those for a group melody tonight? If so, that’s a total waste. And, if you are going to slow it down, why ignore her best songs like We Belong Together or Vision of Love and really work it? I know D. Cook is predictable because he always does an emo arrangement, but it’s always interesting, and he doesn’t steal arrangements like Daughtry did; he owns up that it’s a Chris Cornell version, for example. So, come on Top 6, show me what you got next week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw that.