Friday, April 18, 2008

Rant: CW is an Asshat

I read an article today on how The CW Network is pulling free episodes of Gossip Girl off of it’s own website, for they fear it is canabalizing their TV business. Now, I don’t have time in my jam-packed TV schedule for the OC in NYC, but this story did boil my sake. Apparently, the CW believes by pulling it offline, more people will watch it on TV. How long will it take for these networks to understand how young people view media? Times and habits are changing and these companies always seem so slow to adapt. If it’s bigger online that on TV, put it off TV, throw it online with commercials, and let people watch it there! The same thing happened ten years ago when music companies were freaking out about how people were getting music online, free. Well, it seems they backed off and now everyone is enjoying the fruits of Itunes’ labor. I had also heard that the Neilsen Rartings were unable to take accurate pictures of homes with Digital Cable boxes. I hope to God that problem has been resolved, because the only people I know without digital cable are old people and separatists and I don’t want either one of them influencing what I watch on TV. So, media conglomerates, time to get with the program and let me watch, listen, and read stuff how I want to, when I want it. You figure out how to make money on it – that’s why they pay you the big bucks. I’m just here to watch.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Right on, Kiki. The CW is going to learn the hard way that you can't control the market. Instead of driving viewers from the interntet to the tv, this wrongheaded strategy is just going to drive viewers away ... to another network who has the brains to post good content on the web. Give the viewers what they want, when they want it and in the format they want it. It's capitalism 101.