Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Save the Drama for Your Baby Mama

I saw the commercial for the new Tina Fey buddy movie with Amy Poehler, Baby Mama. The preview looks pretty funny and Tina Fey always delivers quality, so I am thinking I might want to see it. Being the progressive gal that I am, it took a bit to dawn on me that we don’t often see a female buddy comedy. It’s been awhile. I suppose Thelma and Louise is one example, but that’s not a wacky comedy and it’s from so long ago. Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion (we’ll have the ‘business women’s lunch’. To gooooo.”) probably didn’t get the credit it deserved for being ground breaking because it was so bizarre (though hilarious). Other recent examples are Sex and the City (of course) Waitress, and Miss Pettirgew Lives for a Day, but it’s hurting my brain trying to come up with examples. There are lots of funny chicks out there right now, many of whom can hold their own against their leading men. How come someone hasn’t written a buddy movie for Amy Adams and Isla Fischer as two red-headed sisters? I already get them confused as it is. It’s 2008, people. We want girlie comedies. Amy Sedaris, Wanda Sykes, and Drew Barrymore, I’m talking to you. Go write something already. Or maybe I should. Gotta go . . .

Oh, and here's the preview:

No comments: